Candidates who are unable to demonstrate knowledge of equipment, materials, methods and procedures used in the maintenance, construction, reconstruction and repair activities of municipal utility systems, will not be considered. In the event that a trainee is hired to fill this position, the individual will be required to attain FDEP Level 3 Water Distribution license within 18 months of employment, failing which the individual will be terminated.
Please review our competitive benefits package which includes health, dental, pension and group life insurance at www.tequesta.org/94/Human-Resources.
Deadline: Open Until filled.
Salary Ranges: Service Technician II: $37,224 - $59,559 (DOQ)
Service Technician I: $35,299 - $53,175 (DOQ)
The Village is currently accepting applications for a Service Technician. This position performs a variety of semi-skilled work in the construction, operation, repair, maintenance and replacement of Village water facilities and distribution system, stormwater drainage systems, as well as water meter reading.
QUALIFICATION AND EXPERIENCE
Education and Experience
ALL - High School diploma or equivalency and valid driver’s license and safe driving record.
TRAINEE - One (1) year’s experience in utility, maintenance or construction field (utility experience preferred)and required to obtain Florida Department of Environmental Protection (FDEP) level “3” Water Distribution license before 18 months of employment.
SERVICE TECHNICIAN I - One (1) year’s experience in utility, maintenance or construction field (utility experience preferred) and possession of a current FDEP level “3” Water Distribution, and/or Level “C” Stormwater license.
SERVICE TECHNICIAN II - Three (3) years’ experience in utility, maintenance or construction field and FDEP level “2” Water Distribution, and/or Level “B” Stormwater license.
Necessary Knowledge Skills and Abilities
- Sound knowledge of equipment, vehicles, facilities, materials, methods and procedures used in maintenance, and repair activities.construction, reconstruction and repair activities of municipal utility systems, public works, and parks and recreation operations
- Sound skill in operation of all listed tools, vehicles, rolling stock and equipment.
- Ability to safely perform heavy manual tasks for extended periods.
- Ability to communicate effectively verbally and in writing, to understand and carry out written and oral instructions, and print legibly.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with employees, other departments and the public.
- Ability to perform arithmetic computations to maintain accurate records.
- Ability to learn mechanical procedures.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Inspects, maintains and/or repairs utility infrastructure, including, but not limited to, water meters, fire hydrants, water service lines, stormwater, and irrigation systems to ensure that all aspects of the systems are functioning properly.
- Performs required labor involved in construction, reconstruction and maintenance projects, including but not limited to pavement repair, ditch digging, installing/repairing water services, mains and pipes, storm water piping, manhole inspection, line cleaning, inlet/outlet maintenance and trenching, shoring and backfilling.
- Reads water meters in assigned areas and provides accurate data for utility billing; Rechecks readings as directed to determine abnormal consumption patterns and notes any unusual changes and other maintenance items such as leaks, damaged meters and unusual meter readings and initiates corrective action.
- Performs water service disconnects, reconnects and new service orders as directed.
- Responds to complaints such as, but not limited to, water leaks, pressure loss, and no water, evaluates situation and explains findings to supervisor.
- Cuts, fits, lays, repairs, taps, cleans and flushes water mains, pipe, gate valve and fittings on repair of mains and services and installation of services, fire hydrants; back-flow prevention devices and other appurtenances in Utility System and assists in shutting off broken sections of water mains.
- Maintains a variety of records relating to inspections, maintenance activities, and water meter testing consumption, among others.
- Contacts and provides notices to residents and business owners in areas where water service will be interrupted and provides reasonable explanation.
- Operates a variety of powered construction and maintenance equipment used in the Utilities Department, including but not limited to bobcat, backhoe/loader.
- Drives trucks of various sizes and weights in the loading, hauling and unloading of various equipment, gravel, sand and other various payloads.
- Communicates with co-workers, management, citizens, engineers, contractors, vendors and others in a courteous and professional manner that builds cooperation and consensus.
- Conforms with, abides by all regulations, policies, work procedures and instructions and all safety rules, and wears/uses all appropriate safety equipment.
- Assists other departments as necessary by directive from Department Head.
- Required to be on "stand-by" for recall duty after regular working hours at periodic intervals as assigned.Subject to respond to emergencies 24 hours/day, 7 days/week, 365 days/year.
- Work assigned shifts with required notice of shift change.
- Frequently exposed to wet and/or humid conditions.
- Frequently works near moving mechanical parts and is exposed to vibration.
- May occasionally work in high, precarious places and occasionally be exposed to fumes or airborne particles, toxic or caustic chemicals, and risk of electrical shock.
- The noise level in the work environment is usually loud.
- Regularly required to use hands to finger, handle, feel or operate objects, tools, or controls and reach with hands and arms.
- Occasionally required to walk, sit, climb or balance, stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl, and smell.
- Frequently lifts and/or moves up to 25 pounds and occasionally lift and/or move up to 100 pounds.
- Vision abilities include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus.